What Are The Requirements To Become A
Commercial HGV Lorry Driver?
The minimum requirements to become a Commercial HGV lorry driver in the UK are as follows:
• You must be at least 18 years old.
• You must have a full UK driving licence.
• You must be medically fit to drive an HGV and undertake an HGV medical
examination, which is carried out by a doctor who is approved by the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA).
• You must have a provisional licence for the category of goods vehicle you wish to drive.
• You must pass an HGV theory test. (Driver CPC part 1)
• You must pass an HGV Hazard Perception test. (Driver CPC part 1)
• You must pass an HGV off road test. (Driver CPC part 3a)
• You must pass an HGV practical on road test. (Driver CPC part 3b)
• You must have a Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC) to drive commercially. This is called CPC Module 4.